The Chiesa di San Francesco’s building begun in the last part of the 13th century. The design brain behind this building was Giovanni di Simone. The church is a single-naved one. In the 14th century the church was raised and other chapels were build in it. Its highlights are its belfry and the cloisters from the 15th century. Pieces by Jacopo da Empoli, Taddeo Gaddi and Santi di Tito are kept in this church. Ugolino della Gherardesca and his sons lie in the Cappella Gherardesca.
The Chiesa di San Frediano was erected in 1061. The building features a basilica-like interior, but with three aisles. Remarkable pieces in it are the 12th century crucifix and the 16th century paintings by Ventura Salimbeni, Domenico Passignano, Aurelio Lomi, and Rutilio Manetti that were brought to it when restoration was carried out.
The Church of Saint Nicholas was constructed at the end of the 11th century. Between the end of the 13th century and the beginning of the next one the Augustinians commissioned its enlargement. The church may have been planned by Giovanni Pisano. Among its highlights are the 13th century octagonal belfry, the Madonna with Child by Francesco Traini (14th century) and St. Nicholas Saving Pisa from the Plague (15th century) as well as Giovanni and Nino Pisano’s wood sculptures and Francesco di Valdambrino ‘s Annunciation.
The Chiesa di San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno was erected at the end of the 10th century. Around 1150 enlargement was made following a style similar to the one of the cathedral. This church is conjoined to the Romanesque Cappella di Sant’Agata.
The Romanesque-style Santo Sepolcro (Lungarno Galilei) is octagonal in shape and has a conical spire executed by Diotisalvi. This church does not frequently open to public visits.
The area around Borgo Stretto is ideal to wander around and get the feel of medieval style, under its arcades. The Gothic Romanesque Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo is in this area of town.
The minute Chiesa di Santa Maria della Spina (Lungarno Gambacorti) is an example of Pisan Gothic style which is thought to have been designed by Lupo di Francesco (1230). Its façade is bedecked with tabernacles and statues aplenty. Its building was conceived to house one of Jesus’ crown thorn. The interiors, in very bare style which dramatically contrast with its exteriors, exhibit the extraordinary Gothic Madonnna of the Rose created by Nino Pisano. It is not commonly available to visits. The Torre Guelfa (15th century) sitting near the Chiesa di Santa Maria della Spina is a great vantage point to observe Pisa . The views after its 200 steps to get to the top deserve the ascent. You can purchase a combined ticket which takes in both sights: the Torre Guelfa and the church.